Tuesday, April 10, 2012

testing old waters

.
On Friday, I plan to go to a lecture on Buddhism -- some professor talking about Buddhism in his southern habitat.

The lecture sounded mildly interesting, so I will try to go.

But my main reason for going is to assess my own lack of interest.

Buddhism, specifically Zen, took up a lot of my time in the past. A lot. In the past, by turns, I loved it, hated it, practiced it, talked about it, pondered it, grew depressed or elated in its environs ... blah, blah, blah. These days, the fires are banked a bit and going to a lecture is like taking a sick person's temperature -- how hot does this ancient demon remain? Have you recovered or is more bed rest warranted?

The lecture is no big deal. I just think it's a good idea to take the temperature of old angels and demons.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment